How to Password Protect Folders with Folder Protector?
Kakasoft Folder Protector is an easy-to-use software which is specialized in password protecting files, folders or drives on any computer with Windows system. If you place your sensitive files and documents in your PC you need to pay attention to data security of those files when there are so many potential threats leave a door for cyber criminals.
Folder Protector is a widely accepted application which has been welcomed by users from all over the world for quite a long time. Get Folder Protector here and learn to lock folders and files by yourself:
Download the Folder Protector with the following button. And then follow the step by step guide to protect folders with password.
Step 1. Select folders for protect
- Copy Folder Protector (lockdir.exe) to the folder you want to protect or drag and drop the folder you want to protect in the operation window of Folder Protector for adding the folder to protect. step 2. Send Password to protect selected folder
- Make settings in Settings window and then right-click on the folder and navigate to "Folder Protector" option to password protect it.
Step 3. Make settings to retrieve password.
- a. Click on the ">>" Button on the right side of the main window. b. Type a password hint to help you remember your password.
- Remember that anyone unprotected this folder will be able to see the password hint. c. Set an e-mail address to help you retrieve password. The program will remember this e-mail address if you click on "Save as default e-mail".
Three different unprotection modes
- Virtual Drive: Access your data in a virtual drive without extracting the data, which means the folder will be reprotected automatically as soon as you close the explorer window.
- Temporary: Show a restore window on your taskbar after unprotection, which allows you restore protection easily.
- Complete: Completely unprotect your folder. You need to run Folder Protector again and enter a new password to protect the folder if you wish to gain folder protection again.
- Temporary unprotection Window.
- 1. Security Level Setting:
- security levels: Normal, High, Highest.
Normal High Highest Encryption Speed Fastest Fast (50 files per second) Slow (15M data per second) Encryption Method hide and Lock Files Scramble and encrypt file headers 256-bit AES Encryption
- There are as much as 9 display languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Turkish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese.
3. Login password
We recommend you to set a login password to avoid unauthorized access to your folder.
4. Create an unprotection program in the protected folder
Allow you unprotect your folder by running "lockdir.exe" program. If you uncheck this option, you have to copy "lockdir.exe" file to the protected folder first and run it when you need to unprotect the folder.
5. Show a protected sign(a special folder icon)
The special folder icon helps you distinguish protected folders from other folder.
- 6. Display on the Right-Click menu
- Allow you to right-click a folder and select "Folder Protector" option in the Rignr-Click Menu to protect.
- When you forget the location of the protected folders, you can search them from your computer.
Protect this software from being misused by others hence protect your critical data, in other words, you can set a password to control the usage of this application.
To set login password, navigate to SETTINGS-> Login Password.
Usage: lockdir.exe p [-n -h -x] [password] [path]
-n: Protect with Normal Security LevelExample:
-h: Protect with High Security Level
-x: Protect with Highest Security Level
Protect a folder ( E:\test) in Normal Security Level with password "123456".
E:\lockdir.exe p -n 123456 E:\test
Usage: lockdir.exe u [-i -t -c] [password] [path]
-i: Unprotect with Virtual Disk ModeExample: Completely unprotect a folder with password "123456".
-t: Unprotect with Temporary Mode
-c: Completely unprotect this folder.
E:\lockdir.exe u -c 123456 E:\test