According to the survey conducted by the Internet and Mobile Security Organization AVGTechnologies, most companies hadn’t noted real value of their data. The result of the test showed that 37% of small business manager spent more time on tidying up desks and ordering new business cards rather than doing backup for data. This survey was give to 500 U.S. small businesses managers, and the result showed that although most (75%) businesses relied on automatic backup system, about a quarter (24%) of businesses didn’t require employees to back up data at least every week. However, 30% of respondents thought that more than half of their data were critical data.
Given that small business claimed that more than half of the data were sensitive data, the loss of employees’ mobile devices should attract more attention. In fact, about half of small businesses said they had experienced the loss of mobile devices. Interestingly, the survey showed that many small businesses management staff didn’t think employees’ mobile devices contained a lot of sensitive data. They cared more about the security of data transferred to cloud. When asked about cloud-based backup, 64% of small and middle enterprise said security was the issue they cared about most.
And the results of the survey can be concluded as below:
1. Compared with backup data in UK (22%) and US (21%), a substantial proportion of small and middle businesses often spend more time on tidying up desks and ordering new business cards, which is not even the most conventional computer-related work. 43% of UL companies and 53% of US companies said they spent more time changing passwords.
2. When it comes to cloud backup, security is still a most concerned issue. Other key issues include the cost, data recovery and lack of control.
3. Most small businesses have not experienced mobile device data loss, but they are approaching (51% in UK, 53% in US).
4. Most SMEs (62% in UK, 66% in United States) are confident that they can prevent data loss when employees leave the company.
5. Most small businesses (59% in UK, 54% in the US) still don’t require employees to back up daily. A considerable number of backup data (68% UK, 75% of the United States) is operated by IT automation systems.
6. When it comes to mobile device data, only 1-10% of employees of about one-third of SMEs (32% in UK, 34% in the US) go out of office at least once a week. On the other hand, mobile devices are increasingly used to work, and only a small number of companies said 80% -100% of their staff go out of office one day a week.
7. When the device is lost or stolen, 39% of UK businesses and 41% of US companies priority is to ensure that data cannot be viewed by an unauthorized third party. That’s why you need to protect files in drive with password and configure different users’ permission to content in the drive.